Lighting 101: Your How To Guide for Choosing The Right Light For Your Space
A new light fixture is an easy way to freshen up your space. With so many styles and types to choose from, you may wonder: What style do I like? What size should I get? Which bulbs work best? Luckily at Hunter, we have an Interior Design Expert, Fallon, here to help you select the best fixture for your space.
Here are 5 easy steps to help you choose the right light for your space.
- Determine where you are going to hang your light fixtures
- Layer different types of lighting (Task, Ambient, Accent)
- Choose your fixture type
- Choosing your style (shop by style)
- Choosing the right bulb
Understanding the types of lighting fixtures
There are 3 basic types of lighting you need to understand before choosing your fixture.
- Task lighting illuminates a specific workplace.
- Ambient lighting is your main lighting source.
- Accent lighting highlights specific features or design elements.
Now you understand the different types of lighting. Choose what rooms you need lighting for and time to do some math.
How to measure your space to hang your light fixture properly
Once you have chosen the space where you’re hanging your lighting fixtures, pull out your tape measure. There are 3 basic measurements you need:
- The length and width of the room.
- The length and width of the surface the lights will hang above (like a table or kitchen island).
- The width or diameter of the light fixture.
You will need to consider the space around and between multiple fixtures. Watch the video below for clearance needed when installing your light fixtures. You might want to grab a pen.
Here you can find instructions and watch a step-by-step videos for hanging each type of light.
How to choose light bulbs
You’ve narrowed down which light fixture to choose, but now how do you know which light bulb to buy? The light bulb you choose can impact the look of your fixture and your space.
Let’s break it down to make your decision easy. Here are things to consider when choosing the right light bulb:
1. What is my light fixture’s wattage?
2. What is my light fixture’s bulb base type?
3. How bright of a light bulb do I need?
4. What color temperature do I want for my space?
5. What light bulb shape do I use?