Most can agree that it’s not always easy to get in the spring cleaning mood – but once it’s done, you will feel so much better. To help you tackle this task we want to share some easy spring cleaning tips to help declutter and deep clean your home. We also share great cleaning hacks below!
Step 1: Make a plan & set the mood
Whether you create a detailed to-do list or simply a general plan by area, it’s a good idea to have a structured spring cleaning checklist to follow. This will can help keep you on task and reduce frustration. You could type an electronic list and print it out, use a check list app your phone (we love the Google Keep app), or simply grab a piece of paper and make your list the old fashioned way. No matter what method you choose, a good list will keep you accountable and have you feeling accomplished through the whole process!
As next steps, set out your cleaning supplies, open the blinds, light a candle, and turn on your favorite feel-good tunes. Your house will be spotless in no time!
Step 2: Declutter
This step is huge! We can’t deny that getting rid of your things can be difficult. There’s the sentimental value, the “I may need this one day” attitude, or maybe you’ve just had something so long you think “might as well just keep it!” Only you can judge the value of your stored belongings. A good rule of thumb is if you haven’t used it in over six months, you can probably trash it (or donate it).
Go through each room and make three piles: keep, get rid of, and put in storage. Find a place for the ‘keeps,’ put away the storage, and create a designated spot for the ‘get rid of’ pile.
Pro tip: Put things where they belong, not where they fit.
When you’re done, consider having a garage sale, recycling, or donating the things that you no longer need. Like they say, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure! ?
Step 3: Get to c l e a n i n g!
By this point, you have removed any clutter that would be standing in your way, and you are (hopefully) full of motivation and ready to power through to have your house looking spotless! We recommend starting with the whole-home basics: dust, vacuum/sweep, mop, and thoroughly wipe down counter space and appliances.
Pro tip: It is best to clean from the inside to the outside and from the top to the bottom. This keeps you from bringing unnecessary foot traffic to newly cleaned spaces.
Use our checklist by room below to to help you stay on track and get everything accomplished.
BONUS: Check out these cleaning hacks. Who knew cleaning could get so creative?!
- Cleaning your microwave: put half water and half vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 5-10 minutes. Wait two minutes for the bowl to cool, then remove. Next, simply wipe down the inside of the microwave with a paper towel and you’re done! Clean microwave without the hassle!
- Throw your stove knobs, grates, and drip pans in the dishwasher and start like normal! Why haven’t we thought of this before?!
- Need to clean the blender really quick? Wash out the blender, fill with warm water and a drop of dish soap, turn it on and let it go for a few seconds. Rinse out the water and you’re done! This will save you space in the dishwasher!
- Remove water spots from faucets with vinegar and an old toothbrush
- Pour a cup of baking soda in with the wash to make your clothes come out extra-bright!
- Baking soda can also be used to remove lingering smells from furniture! Simply sprinkle on the desired area, let it sit for 20 minutes, then vacuum it up using the brush attachment.
- Clean cloudy glasses with a paper towel and a small amount of vinegar.
- Get your tennis shoes looking good-as-new with an old toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Clean your rings with warm water and a drop of soap. Let them soak in the mixture for about 15 minutes then use a soft toothbrush to clean further.
Step 4: Treat yourself!
Give yourself a pat on the back. You accomplished so much! Even if you don’t finish all your to-do’s, or your home isn’t as spotless as you’d like for it to be, it’s okay. Give yourself a break. You were productive and that counts for something!
Whether you make your favorite cocktail, watch your favorite movie, or enjoy a to-go meal from your favorite restaurant in town, it’s good to take some time and thank yourself for your hard work!